Skip to content

Forms and Instructions

Domestic Shipping Instructions

Exhibition Material Inventory

Exhibition Material Inventory is a detailed description of what you are shipping. It is a form you fill out that asks for the item number, quantity, weight, dimensions, description and color and contents.  Use this inventory when planning your annual show schedule.

Event Planning Checklist

Download and print our easy to use checklist of everything you will need to know to make your event a success.

Material Handling Agreement (MHA) or Service Contractors Bill of Lading

This is a legal agreement between the exhibiting company and the service contractor. This form may be obtained from the service contractor at the service desk at show site. This form must be completed and returned to the service desk when your exhibit is completely packed in order for your materials to be removed from the exhibit floor and released to your carrier.

House Bill

This is an agreement between two parties that acts as a release from one party to another to transport material.   Two copies should be printed and signed by the exhibiting company and the driver.  


A shipping label should be attached to each piece of freight in your shipment and numbered 1 of x, 2 of x.  Labels should also be attached to the inside of large containers in case the label on the outside of your container falls off.  Please attach labels to the handles of canvas bags and carpet roll using zip ties and a sturdy piece of material to attach the label.

International Documentation

Commercial Invoice

The customs department of the country to which you are shipping material requires a commercial invoice for all dutiable shipments. The invoice is prepared on your company letterhead, which must contain your complete address and telephone number. When completed, attach the original and four copies to the shipment.
Instructions: Page 1  | Page 1 cont.Page 2


The Electronic Export Information (EEI and formerly known as Shipper's Export Declaration (SED)), is required by law to enable U.S. Government agencies to enforce laws related to the export of goods. It was also traditionally used by the U.S. Census Bureau to compile official U.S. export statistics.

An Electronic Export Information (EEI) Filing (formerly known as SED) is required when:

  • An individual Schedule B/HTS item value exceeds US$2500 to all foreign destinations (except to Canada); or

  • An individual Schedule B/HTS item value exceeds US$2500 for shipment being shipped as follows:

    • from the U.S. to Puerto Rico;

    • from Puerto Rico to the U.S.;

    • from the U.S. or Puerto Rico to the U.S. Virgin Islands;

    • trans-shipped through or for storage in Canada, but ultimately destined to a third country;

    • exported under Carnets; or

  • A shipment (regardless of value) is transported under an export license issued by the applicable U.S. Government agency (e.g., Dept of State, Dept of Commerce, etc.) including Canada destinations and including Carnets; or

  • A shipment (regardless of value) is subject to the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) , including shipments exempt from licensing requirements and including shipments to Canada; or

  • A shipment (regardless of value) contains rough diamonds (under Schedule B#'s 7102.10, 7102.21 and 7102.31, including shipments to Canada; or

  • A shipment (regardless of value) is destined to a U.S. Department of Commerce authorized Validated End User (VEU); or

  • A shipment (regardless of value other than personal correspondence or business records) is destined to restricted countries such as Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan, and Syria.

You can file your EEI/SED online through the U.S. Government's Automated Export System (AES Direct). The instructions are available from the U.S. Census Bureau's Web site.

What is a Carnet?

Carnet Definition

Carnet or ATA Carnet (pronounced kar-nay) is an international customs and temporary export-import document. It is used to clear customs in 85 countries and territories without paying duties and import taxes on merchandise that will be re-exported within 12 months*.  Carnets are also known as Merchandise Passports or Passports for Goods.

Types of Carnets

In the U.S. there are two types of carnets issued: ATA and TECRO/AIT. TECRO/AIT carnets are used for temporary imports in Taiwan which only accepts the TECRO/AIT carnet.  ATA Carnets are used for the 85 other countries and territories that are members of the carnet system.

What do Carnets Allow you to do?

Carnets facilitate temporary imports into foreign countries and re-importation into the U.S. By presenting an ATA Carnet document to foreign customs, you pass duty free and import tax free into a carnet country for up to one year. ATA Carnets also serve as the U.S. Certificate of Registration of goods (CBP 4455) upon re-importation.

What Merchandise is Covered by Carnets?

Most merchandise can be listed on a Carnet. Virtually all types of goods and equipment can be transported under the ATA Carnet:

  • Commercial Samples

  • Professional Equipment (Tools of the Trade)

  • Goods for Fairs & Exhibitions (limited to 6 months)

Power of Attorney (POA)

 A general power of attorney gives broad powers to a person or organization (known as an agent or attorney-in-fact) to act in your behalf.  This document, as it relates to customer brokerage is signed by the Customer, granting authority to the designated Customs Broker, to clear material through Customs on the Customers behalf for one event or for up to one year.

International Shipping Instructions